The Foundation operates in the greater Big Sky and Gallatin Valley area and provides grants to nonprofit organizations and qualifying government entities such as schools and libraries.
Program areas of focus include arts, education, community services, health, and conservation.
Grants will not cover basic operating expenses. No loans or grants to individuals will be made.
There are two grant cycles each year. Application deadlines are:
- May 1
- November 1
To review the application form, download it here (PDF of Application).
The Foundation requires all applicants to apply online.
The following information about the applicant and project or program for consideration should be provided:
- A description of the organization, its purposes, programs, staffing, and governing board
- The organization’s latest financial statements including the most recent audit report
- A description of the proposed project and full justification for its funding
- An itemized project budget, including other existing or expected sources of support
- Evidence from the IRS of the organization’s tax-exempt status and that the applying organization itself is not a private foundation. Proposals not accompanied by a current IRS determination letter will not be considered.
Evaluation criteria and awards:
- Each application will be reviewed by members of the Foundation staff and Board of Directors. The Board makes final decisions regarding awards.
- Criteria will include the applicant’s track record, organizational capacity and professionalism, and community impact.
- Grants are competitive; there is no guarantee that an applicant will receive a grant.
- If a grant is approved, payment will be provided by check within two weeks of the board’s decision, approximately four to six weeks after the application deadline.